top of page
Physiotherapist

About Disability Insurance

Short- and long-term disability plans provide income in place of your regular pay if you are sick or injured and unable to work. They cover non-work-related injuries only. Work-related injuries are covered by the state workers’ compensation program.

About Disability Benefits 

Short-Term Disability

Short-term disability (STD) provides income in place of your regular pay if you are sick or injured and unable to work.

STD begins after you’ve been off work for 40 consecutive regularly scheduled hours due to an injury or illness, such as a surgery or medical procedure. You must use accrued personal leave or take the time unpaid for the first 40 hours.

These benefits are not automatic. You must complete the insurance company’s application and submit documentation of your disability from your doctor.

If approved, STD pays up to 70% of your eligible earnings for up to 25 consecutive weeks. You can use personal leave to make up the other 30% and receive a full paycheck.

Long-Term Disability

If you are unable to perform all the essential duties of your regular occupation due to an injury, sickness, or a medical condition you may be eligible for long-term disability income benefits.

Long-term disability follows short-term disability benefits, and if approved, begins after you are totally disabled for 180 consecutive days. The District automatically provides core coverage–benefits paying up to 60% of your eligible earnings (to a maximum of $5,000 per month).

 

You may receive LTD benefits until you recover or reach retirement age (see the plan booklet for details). The insurance company will pay for disabilities due to mental illness, alcohol, or drugs for up to

24 months.

 

If you become disabled, benefit payments are not automatic. You must apply and provide evidence documenting your disability (like physician reports) and the insurance company must decide if you qualify for benefits.

Buy-Up Option

You may elect to purchase an LTD buy-up option that pays 66-2/3% of your eligible earnings. The maximum monthly benefit for the buy-up option is $7,500.  You can do this when you are enrolling for benefits on the PeopleSoft system. No evidence of insurability (EOI) is required. 

If you’re currently enrolled in the buy-up option and want to keep this coverage, you must re-enroll during open enrollment, otherwise you’ll be defaulted into the LTD core plan.

Resources

bottom of page